Do you want to start a commercial piggery? Find here a detailed pig farming business plan sample checklist for your ready reference.
Starting piggery is a very much profitable livestock business. Among the various livestock species, piggery is the most potent source for meat production and pigs are more efficient feed converters after the broiler. The business ensures a higher return to the farmers.
However, you must have some land area or backyard space for raising pigs. With less effort and investment, one can start a commercial piggery for profits. Some of the major pig farming countries are China, Russia, America, Brazil, and West Germany.
Why Is Pig Farming Profitable?
Starting a piggery is a very profitable venture. Here we have compiled some of the major aspects.
- First of all, pigs grow very fast than any other animal. Therefore, it takes less time to get mature pigs for the market.
- They have a higher feed conversion efficiency. Therefore, they have a great feed to the meat converting ratio.
- Food is not a big concern for raising pigs. Pigs can eat and consume almost all types of feed including grains, damaged food, forage, fruits, vegetables, garbage, sugarcane, etc.
- Starting a piggery business is easy and it requires little capital/investment for building houses and buying equipment.
- Pig meat is tasty and nutritious food globally. And the demand for meat is increasing very fast.
- Apart from fresh meat, you can produce and export bacon, ham, lard, pork, sausages, etc. to foreign countries.
- Pig fat also has a huge demand in poultry feed, paints, soap, and chemical industries.
- Finally, a pig farming business ensures a good ROI (return on investment) ratio and break even.
Steps to Start Pig Farming Business
1. Business Plan for Pig Farming
In starting the business, you must craft a business plan for your piggery. Your business plan must consist of the executive summary, business objective, market analysis, marketing plan, management, and operational plan, and financial plan.
Creating a business plan is as simple as writing an idea on paper. It involves writing about the different components in a manner that should persuade a bank or individual to invest in the business venture.
According to your business plan, you must have two things ready in your hand. One is the space and the other is financial resources. First of all, you must select land for setting up your pig farm.
Additionally, you must have the arrangement to protect the farm from theft. Furthermore, the place must have the availability of some required resources.
The list includes a clean water source, electricity, proximity to the markets, availability of the veterinary doctor in the area, etc. Finally, check the transportation facility and labor availability in that particular space.
2. Procure Productive Pig Breeds
After setting up the farm, you have to procure pig breeds. Throughout the world, there are several pig breeds available in the market. However, you must select the commercially profitable breeds for your farm.
The most common pig breeds for commercial pig production are the Yorkshire, Landrace, Hampshire, Duroc, and Tibetan, Tamworth, and Meishan breeds and their crosses. These breeds produce lean meat combined with efficient feed conversion. Compared to local pig breeds, these commercial breeds are less resistant to diseases and suffer more from hot weather and low quality feeds.
You can construct a pigsty cheaply by using locally available materials. It needs to be constructed according to climatic conditions and according to the pig production system. However, you must ensure good ventilation and ample shade, no overheating, no smells no draft and no dampness.
Additionally, you need to divide the pig building into different pens for each phase of the production cycle. The number and the size of the pens depend on the expected numbers of pigs to be housed in each production phase. Additionally, provide some outdoor space for roaming your pigs.
4. Pig Feeds
Pig feeding is an important aspect of commercial pig farming. Overall, animal health and growth ratio depend on the availability of nutritious food. The basic ingredients of pig feed are oat, grains, maize, wheat, rice, sorghum, and other millets.
However, you must add some protein supplements like oil cakes, fish meal, and meat meal. Additionally, you can also use packed feed that comes with proper nutrition balance. A pig needs lots of fresh clean water, approximately 1.5-2 gallons of water daily over 6 months.
The breeding process is simple. Generally, both male and female pigs become suitable for breeding within their 8 months of age. Within this time they reach about 100 to 120 kg. The heat period of female pig lengths for 2 to 3 days. The first day during the heat period of gilts is the best time to breed.
And the second day is best for the sow. A sow becomes suitable for breeding again after 2 to 10 days of weaning. The gestation period for pigs is not more than 115 days. A sow can give birth to piglets twice a year and about 8 to 12 piglets each time.
6. Care & Piggery Management
In this business, you have to take care of the animals in every stage of life. However, caring is more crucial for the piglets and when the gilt is in the gestation stage. Additionally, you have to keep your farm free from all the diseases and health problems. Therefore, proper vaccination de-worming is a very important step.
Sick pigs generally have the following signs:
- It may not eat or not show interest in feed /water
- It may breathe rapidly indication of a fever
- In white skin-colored pigs, the skin may become reddish.
- It may have diarrhea which may sometimes be bloody or bloodstained.
- Droopy ears or ears pointing downwards.
- Dull eyes.
- Dull skin and hair.
- Its tail will become limp.
- Separates itself from the rest
In starting a piggery, you must have a marketing plan. According to your farm size, you can plan for selling your mature pigs at good prices. Apart from the local slaughterhouse, the meat processing centers are the potential consumers.
Additionally, you can contact the local restaurants and hotels that have large requirements throughout the year. Additionally, you can consider pig farming for organic meat production also.