There has been a boom in the demand for online courses recently, and obviously, you don’t want this opportunity to go by. So you are building your online course and want to host it in the best online course hosting platform possible right? We have conducted in-depth research and shortlisted the best online course platforms as per your needs.
By the end of this article you will be able to :
- Know which are the Top Online Course Platforms
- Learn about the key features and benefits of choosing either of them
- Create an Online Course by yourself
- Understand how to choose an Online Course Platform perfectly suited for your course
- Get to know how to Sell your Online Course
So without further ado let’s get started.
List of 20 Best Online Course Platforms
Thinkific is a robust platform for selling your online courses and is highly recommended by most online course creators. It includes everything you’ll need to create a high-quality course in the least amount of time, as well as reporting tools. At first look, the restricted selection of themes may appear to be limiting, yet they are extremely adaptable.
You’ll also get a set of tools for managing your students. Furthermore, the Thinkific platform allows you to create a website, utilize a smart widget to offer courses on third-party sites, and use email marketing and third-party connectors for promotion.
There is a Free plan, which lets you test out the platform’s key features to determine if you like it.
Depending on your needs, there are many options to select from, with monthly or annual payment cycles.
- Unlike many of its rivals, it does not charge any transaction fees on the courses its clients purchase.
- It offers a fantastic help center and customer service that you can contact through email and phone, or you can schedule a live chat with a representative.
- It is possible to build numerous courses.
- Their free plan has a lot of benefits.
- Option to deliver content bit by bit
- Quizzes and assignments can be created.
Today, Udemy is one of the most widely used online course platforms. With over 40 million students, it is undoubtedly the most popular Online Course Platform.
Udemy is the largest marketplace on the internet for creating and selling courses.
They allow you to deliver high-quality courses and exams, as well as provide useful analytics and reporting tools.
Course bundling is an intriguing option offered by Udemy. Here you may combine courses to increase income per course, which will be beneficial for growing your business.
Because the platform favors courses that are currently selling well, your marketing efforts will be crucial to your success.
Keep in mind that Udemy sets the price of your course and frequently offers a discount (good for students).
- There are no setup or platform costs.
- They have the feature to host your online courses which is a great benefit.
- There is a big built-in audience that could be interested in purchasing your courses.
- Comprises of a platform and user interface that is simple to use
- The Teaching Centre provides comprehensive course design courses.
- Marketing tools to aid in the promotion of courses
- A vast community of course creators is available to you.
Many Coursera users think that it is the most serious online course platform for Udemy. The most significant distinction between the two platforms is that Coursera has fewer courses than Udemy.
This may help the platform sell courses more quickly.
In contrast to Udemy, which mostly offers premium courses, Coursera offers several free courses with free certification.
To begin, course administration is straightforward, and virtually any media asset may be submitted for sale to your students.
You can even encourage your pupils to keep track of their progress throughout the course and to interact with other students in the community.
Along with Paypal and Stripe integration, you can connect with MailChimp for automated emails alerting users to future courses.
- Weekly backups, assistance through phone, mail, creating a webinar, online chat, and social media are all available.
- If you’re serious about content marketing, they have a very sophisticated blogging platform.
- All of the tools you’ll need to turn prospects into fully paying clients are included in the solution.
- Has a full-fledged branding and the theme editor
- Can import quizzes
- Organized content strategy capabilities
- Makes it possible to create leads
WizIQ is an online course platform that lets you provide live courses, online streaming, assessment, analytics, discussion forums, and more.
It has an easy-to-use interface that makes it simple to set up and engage pupils. To design your classes, you don’t need any advanced coding expertise.
Another great aspect is that numerous instructor accounts will be possible.
WizIQ also allows users to send messages to other people on their contact list.
It also offers a feature that notifies students when tests, bending assessments, and other tasks are due.
They boast that it has everything teachers will need to teach and train students online.
It was also named the Top-Rated Online Course platform in 2016. Oh, and did we mention that it has a free version as well?
- 4 million students are using the site to learn.
- WizIQ stands out since it offers a free plan, which is ideal for everyone.
- The most straightforward price plan ever, with a unique feature uncommon among these platforms: no transaction fees at all.
- It allows you to include your company’s logo and brand colors.
- Provides an easy-to-use interface for navigation.
- Monitoring ability
- Marketing instruments available
Learning.ly is a potent online course platform option that comes with a sizable audience. The platform provides the distinctive option of hiring a personal concierge who is available at all times.
They also provide themes to help you create a website without having to write any code (so you don’t have to worry about technical issues).
You may include videos, PDFs, text, and a poll, as well as drip your course and lock your content. (the same way as Thinkific does).
One can also create one advanced quiz and use it with many multimedia courses.
The only drawback is that you’ll only get half of the money from all courses sold.
Publishing here is a bit tougher as they will conduct background checks before hosting your course.
- Courses may be customized to match your business theme and brand, and a custom URL can be created.
- It’s simple to assign particular assignments to individual students and groups with only a few mouse clicks.
- During regular business hours, a support team may be accessed by live chat, email, and phone calls.
- It is also intended to be mobile-friendly, allowing everyone accesses to a mobile platform that can be used for your courses on the move.
- There are no limits to the number of courses you can sell
- Possibilities for extensive courses for coding
- A 14-day trial period is available
- Links to marketing-related websites
Skillshare has a nice design and user interface, but the process of delivering and administering courses on the site isn’t as good as some of its competitors.
It is missing critical analytics and reporting capabilities that teachers may utilize to improve course material over time.
The subscription model of Skillshare also makes it more difficult for teachers to earn additional money.
Despite its flaws, it is a straightforward online course platform. It is possible to develop your course rapidly and publish it on the same day.
Lessons range in length from 20 to 60 minutes, and courses are a succession of short films.
You can also earn money on the side from royalties by participating in the Skillshare referral program by your courses.
- Obtain guidance and solutions from the skillshare team on the support site, as well as see live examples of other creators.
- Live chat and email help are accessible even on the free version.
- Self-paced learning is available
- There are a variety of student involvement options accessible.
- A simple platform with a neat appearance.
- Course subscription, as well as downloads options, are available.
7. LinkedIn Learning
With LinkedIn Learning, formerly Lynda, you may start developing your course for sale quite reasonably making it one of the finest online course platforms for those on a budget. A free plan is also available with LinkedIn Learning.
It offers two solutions, one called the online academy and the other called the virtual classroom. LinkedIn Learning’s system has several unique features.
The online academy is mostly used to sell tutorials and other materials.
Students may join in at any time and have access to examinations, assessments, and document sharing.
The course control system features an interactive whiteboard for sharing with students, and mobile learning is a major advantage.
The virtual classroom module, on the other hand, may be used for video and audio conversations, breakout rooms, and polls.
- It’s compatible with content management systems such as WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, and others.
- You’ll get tools to let you interact with students in real-time.
- Feature to charge extra for courses in which students can chat with you over the phone or via video call.
- Capability to manage content effectively
- Management of training is given
- Many templates to choose from
- An interface that may be customized
The Kajabi online course hosting platform saves you money by combining key tools and features into a single platform.
Kajabi is a competent, high-end online course platform that has been around for nine years.
This popular course platform has helped over 25,000 company owners earn over a billion dollars during that period.
It’s a feature-rich all-in-one course platform that makes creating, promoting, and selling online courses a breeze.
It is more expensive than other platforms, but it is well worth it.
Though more expensive than some of its competitors, but excellent things do not come cheap.
Kajabi further justifies its premium price by including a slew of professional-level features that you won’t find anywhere else.
It gives you access to webinars, training tips, resources, and events.
- It includes everything you’ll need to start an online school, including well-designed prepared layouts, blog hosting, digital goods, online marketing automation, an affiliate network, and even a code editor.
- In addition to a comprehensive knowledge base on the provider’s help website that covers every aspect of your course.
- It is possible to build numerous courses.
- Courses can be combined.
- No prior expertise is required
- An extensive information base is available online.
Podia is an online course platform with five functions. It includes several tools to assist you in swiftly creating, marketing, and selling your course.
For novices, some of the features may be a bit hard. Its site builder, unlike rivals’, lacks templates.
Podia, on the other hand, makes expanding and scaling your course company a breeze. You may create recurring money by offering membership options.
Support for more than 11 languages and 22 currencies, as well as free migrations, a blog, affiliate marketing, remote buy buttons, and third-party connections with sites like Facebook, are all available on the platform.
Through these connections, marketing automation is a breeze. It also offers an abundance of help for beginners and even experts who might get stuck somewhere.
- Landing pages, CRM (customer relationship management), email campaigns, and other tools feature not easily found elsewhere.
- Irrespective of how much you make, there are no transaction costs (but the company’s payment processors charge 2.9 percent).
- You can create quizzes.
- Student engagement tools that are comprehensive.
- An easily searchable large body of knowledge.
- If you prefer a hands-off approach to course creation and management you will love this.
More Popular Online Course Platforms
Teachable is one of the most cost-effective online course platforms on which to construct your course today. Themes, pages, and email content may all be customized. It is an easy-to-use platform.
You may also create custom function sections to meet any sophisticated coding needs you might have.
Teachable’s ease of use is complemented by robust reporting capabilities.
If you need any assistance getting started, you may sign up for a simple checklist for building a mini-course and visit the provider’s blog.
Here you’ll discover resources organized into three categories – Teachable Updates, Create Your Course, and Grow Your Business.
Teachable offers a variety of price packages and two billing cycle options: monthly and yearly. Before making a final choice, the free plan is an excellent opportunity to get your feet wet.
- Help is available on the company’s searchable support site, which includes extensive instructions and answers to common platform difficulties as well as other related concerns, all arranged by field of interest.
- You may also create a website and blog, as well as use one of the 100+ third-party connectors.
One of the most extensive online course platforms accessible today is LearnWorlds. It has 2000 program connectors, 400-page design templates, and all the functionality you’ll need to create a full-fledged course and sell it online.
It also includes marketing tools to help you reach out to your target customers, as well as some of the top customer service in the business.
While this has a lot of features, it may be a little daunting for novices. Nonetheless, this platform allows for a great deal of customization, which is something that many course developers desire.
There are 3 package options to choose from. If something goes wrong with any of the price packages, the platform offers a 30-day money-back guarantee with no questions asked.
- There are class projects and community engagement among members.
- You may also get completely free ebooks from LearnWorlds specialists on course design, development, and marketing.
- SSO (single sign-on), white-labeling, interactive graphics, bulk student uploads, and access to LW Academy are all features available
- Custom Android and iOS app integrations are available for an additional cost.
Another promising online course platform on our list is Learndash. It also has a significant number of features and functions. Learndash is a prominent rival because of its configurable UI and easy learner portal.
It also has reporting capabilities and user administration capabilities to make tracking and managing pupils a breeze.
The platform offers all of the most up-to-date e-learning industry technologies, allowing you to develop next-generation learning experiences.
They offer a lot of versatility, for you to build a guided learning route and give you control over courses students take.
These courses are created using a sophisticated drag-and-drop builder which will allow you to create multi-layered, mobile-friendly courses. They also allow you to reuse your material which is uncommon on other platforms.
- You can test your pupils’ knowledge using an advanced and personalized quizzing feature that includes eight distinct question kinds such as Single Answer, Multiple Choice, and so on.
- Your students get a customized virtual learning environment (with your own branding and logo) with a unique Focus Mode. This removes distractions and boosts retention and completion rates.
13. Lifter LMS
Lifter LMS online course platform is a business solution that is suitable for small businesses or single entrepreneurs.
It comes with a long list of features. It is competitively priced as an online training solution and is paid per seat – (a minimum of 20 seats is required).
Pricing starts very reasonably for each student in the Essential Plan but has restricted capabilities.
Their self-paced learning experience allows your students to take your course and finish them whenever their schedule permits. Their auto-generated Badges and Certificates are also a great addon.
Lifter LMS is a solid player in the corporate solutions sector, however, we aren’t lovers of the Free or Essential Plans owing to their restricted capabilities.
- A Group Onboarding option allows you to sell a large number of course seats and delegate the student administration procedure to corporate representatives.
- Your students can access courses while on the go by downloading the app to their phones.
- Custom licensing, corporate security, and ownership are included.
EdX is a high-end, prestigious, yet accessible online course platform – built by Harvard and MIT. As an instructor, you first register an account with edX, like a regular student.
You may then access the Instructor Dashboard for each class when you are grant student permits in a particular course.
Here you will find features like course statistics, manual inscriptions, grade book administration, course reports, configuration certificates, e-mail, and more.
They have a very wide range of areas and topics which they cover so you have many subjects to choose from to create your course from.
The site includes over 2000 models allowing you to create charts and works of graphics to help you to create your presentation material.
- They have separate apps for educational, commercial, and personal use plus they also have web-based tools.
- You may also utilize the Classroom to create a website for your class and store students with various resources and information.
- This tool is great for simple communication, cooperation, and assignment files from a student perspective.
With Udacity you can develop and offer interactive courses that may be taught live or studied at the speed desired by students.
These may simply be turned into online courses to maximize student enrollment all around the world and generate income.
People may develop learning portals for training workers, customers, and partners by using Udacity inside a company via online tutorials or live courses.
For those wanting to give their instruction courses a polished professional feel, the features are rather comprehensive and straightforward to use.
All classes are conveniently available for both iOS and Android smartphones via the Udacity app.
Udacity used to disclose prices for its various categories, but now it requires you to contact its sales team for a quote.
- Simplifies lesson preparation using a simple design that is straightforward to use.
- Connectivity, varied views, and originality on nearly every subject may be found here
- A fantastic tool for instructors that want a conversation in their classroom in every field or issue
Pluralsight is an online course platform that allows you to teach, plan, track and distribute training online courses for students, workers, or clients.
It does not just offer a one-way stream of training solutions. Instead, students submit their material that can be evaluated by you or shared across teams via peer review.
Their play tool may assign training sessions to students who require skill development within particular areas automatically.
This enables you as the teacher to properly understand their capabilities and competencies.
Pluralsight also sports a clean and simple user interface and comes with a large range of third-party connections, so the platform should be used smoothly in the training programs of your business.
- A strong multimedia tool that displays the development of the students throughout time for your help.
- Flexible and joint preparation of lessons, calendar design, and the creator of the classroom will save important time for you.
- You may quickly evaluate the exams and help students by monitoring their advancements with the help of detailed criteria which you can set before the exam.
MasterClass is an online course platform that promises to make training simple to administer and pleasant to undertake.
They claim that owing to its array of tools for getting you set up, courses can be put out in less than 90 minutes.
Administrators can also benefit from an online help center, in-product videos, and 24/7 support.
After the learning programs are put up, tracking tools allow you to keep track of the users’ progress and certificates, as well as provide additional insights.
A simple UI for good control and navigation without having to open numerous pages.
In most situations, you may personalize it by simply dragging and dropping text, graphics, and other material into place.
- Automation capabilities such as auto-assigning learning plans, scheduling reports, and synchronizing users make the process easier.
- Gamification elements like scoreboard races and accomplishment badges are among the other features.
- Recurrent certifications, the opportunity to tailor the learning experience for specific users, are some of the useful features but only available in the highest tier plan option.
18. Academy of Mine
We’ve found Academy of Mine to be one of the most comprehensive online course platforms out there.
It has a lot of features and is aimed towards building your student base. You also receive everything you need to build online courses, including quizzes and assignments, e-commerce integration, and integration with your marketing site.
It also has SCORM compliance, API and developer access, and a variety of unique user features.
It is more expensive because it is a comprehensive course creation and course management system, but you receive premium service.
You can also perform live training in the form of webinars, web conferencing, live chat, screen sharing, a collaborative whiteboard, and presentations are just a few of the features available.
For small-scale businesses, this can be an excellent fit.
- Google Analytics, Tawk to, Facebook, Zapier, SumoMe, ReferralCandy are just a few of the technologies that the platform connects with, giving it more features than many of its competitors.
- In-person reservations, calendars, e-books, downloadable items, and role-based personal audit trails are just a few examples.
- For businesses, there are team options available.
- Built-in eCommerce
- Webpage builder has SCORM and xAPI compatibility.
- Offers ability to conduct webinars
Codecademy is a web-based course platform that makes producing educational resources simple. It has a built-in page template builder that allows you to pick a theme and customize it to your needs.
You’ll be pleased to find that you may handle hundreds of courses at once if you want to publish courses in many languages and versions.
Your works will appear great on any screen size because of the built-in responsive output.
It’s worth mentioning that you may sample the program for free for 14 days before committing to a premium membership.
- The visual style is completely handled through an editable interface within the composing platform.
- It is incredibly simple to apply your brand and change the look of your teaching environment without any sophisticated code.
- You may also have professionals assess your work using a review system that supports a variety of languages, including Chinese, German, French, and Spanish.
20. Mighty Networks
While most online course platforms are flexible in terms of accommodating multiple screen sizes, Mighty Networks was built specifically for those who wish to prioritize mobile. Without having to change anything, the platform allows you to build highly interactive and graphic courses for every device.
Simply click publish, and Mighty Networks will guarantee that your course is mobile-friendly using its Storyline and Rise capabilities.
Furthermore, all courses enable touchscreen gestures, and the built-in player conceals sidebar menus and other distractions so that the multimedia material takes center stage.
There is also a text and picture editor, so you can double-check everything before publishing a course.
And, as you implement changes, your work is automatically saved to the cloud if in case anything goes wrong.
- You may choose from a variety of themes that have been customized to certain use cases so it is not essential to have any prior technical knowledge while developing a course.
- The system features a one-push function, which means that pressing the publish button only once will transmit it to a variety of devices, independent of screen size, resolution, or aspect ratio.
What Exactly is an Online Course Platform?
An online course platform is simply where people come to gain knowledge and learn new skills.
They are typically a website or app that provides students and learners with an e-learning experience.
These platforms allow students and learners to participate in classes and gain information in a remote setting using their computer, tablet, or phone with the ease of the internet.
While video courses are now available on most online course platforms, they are not required.
Texts, books, papers, are all examples of e-learning modules.
Some online course platforms will also include active online communities and direct instructor-to-student contact.
Are there different types of Online Course Platforms?
Yes, essentially there are two types of online course platforms.
- All-in-one platform
Here’s what makes them distinct:
All-in-one platforms provide a collection of applications and services that you would otherwise have to acquire individually.
One of the platforms on our list, for example, is Thinkfic. Thinkfic is a platform that combines many tools into one.
It has built-in website design and implementation, payment processing, and the option to establish your own e-commerce store, as well as sophisticated analytics, email marketing, and community features, making it a full social networking platform.
This type of online course platform also includes built-in features as well as third-party connectors.
Integrated online course platforms provide fewer features than all-in-one platforms, but they do allow third-party application interaction. Udemy and skillshare, for example, are Integrated online course platforms on our list.
You can think of them to be a marketplace for your course.
They generally have a pre-built large audience base. Email replies and many marketing capabilities rely on third-party connections.
Tips To Create An Online Course That Sells
Now it is time to create an online course that sells well.
There are several approaches to creating an online course. No matter what subject or topic you’re working on, or how much training expertise you have, it’s usually best to keep things simple.
If you haven’t looked into how to build a successful online course, there are a few easy procedures and ideas you should know to maximize its effect and potential.
If you want to learn more then read How to Create An Online Course where we have walked you through the 10 steps of creating a perfect online course, along with hints and instructions.
How To Choose An Online Course Hosting Platform? Which Is Ideal For You?
There are several factors to consider when choosing the ideal platform to help you achieve this. We have mentioned below the most important ones.
- Simplicity of use
- Marketing tools
- Instructional features
- Integration possibilities
- Helpful extras
- Customer service
Just keep in mind that getting the correct platform for your online course necessitates some investigation and testing.
It’s critical to understand the topic on which your course is based upon.
This is because some online course platforms concentrate on everyday practical skills, while others concentrate on career-related practical abilities.
However, it will be helpful to be aware of the above factors when choosing.
How to Sell Your Online Course?
After all your hard work the most crucial thing you will need to do is market your Online Course well for it to sell well.
Below are 13 tried and tested methods for you to increase sales of your online course.
Make and Improve Your Website
It’s no longer optional to have a website, especially if your complete offering is available online. Your website directs traffic to your online course and is often the first thing customers look for after hearing about you.
Create A Blog
Many educators and entrepreneurs overlook one of the most tried-and-true methods for promoting an online course: blog entries, especially in this social media age.
Consider your blog to be a portal to your paid content.
You should utilize it to show off your knowledge, assist your audience, and establish an online profile.
Build a Sales Pipeline
A Sales Pipeline is a tool that gradually pushes potential customers toward their initial purchases.
The individuals at the top of the Pipeline are people you’ve never met before.
You can use social networking, email marketing, blogging, and other online activities to draw people to your online course.
Prospects get closer to purchasing as they progress through the funnel.
Increase Social Media Presence
It’s time to get to work on this since it’s quickly becoming one of the most effective methods to promote an online course.
Create accounts on two or three of the most popular social media sites and utilize them to grow and connect with your target audience.
Make Use Of An Editorial Calendar
Now that you’ve established a blog and dabbled with social networking, you need the means to keep organized editorial calendars to help you to plan ahead of time for material so you don’t forget or become overwhelmed.
Use your editorial schedule to generate anticipation for the debut of your online course. To entice potential consumers, gradually build up by giving pieces of information.
Create A Mailing List
One of the most efficient techniques for obtaining, developing, and converting leads for online courses is email marketing.
Use it judiciously because it is a direct channel to potential consumers.
Send out emails regularly with engaging, actionable content that relates to the knowledge in your courses.
Use Influencer Reviews To Your Advantage
Without having to create a direct relationship with your customer, social proof provides a rapid approach to generate trust.
Influencers are becoming a more valuable source of publicity.
When an influencer endorses a product, such as an online course, revenues frequently skyrocket.
Find influencers in your topic area or genre that have a following similar to your target demographic and reach out to them.
You can tell them you’re offering a comprehensive course on a certain topic and ask if they’d want free access in exchange for an honest evaluation of it.
Guest Blogging on Industry Blogs and Websites
You may use guest blogging to promote your online course to new audiences. This is a fantastic method to promote yourself.
In essence, you’re creating an article that will be published by someone else.
While this may appear to be free labor, the aim is to increase the number of people who see your goods.
Bundling Courses & Adding Value
You can offer discounted rates on specific courses or even offer bundles. Such bundles are shown to be very effective.
Even if they wind up paying more money, customers prefer to feel like they’re getting a good deal.
Hence, you’ll sell more courses if you bundle them together and discount them by a particular amount.
Even if your clients pay less for each course individually.
If you don’t have many courses ready, you can package other digital items like eBooks or anything else that adds value.
Participate in Discussions on Online Forums
Make a list of forums that are relevant to your course subject, and then join them.
You can include a link to the course page in your profile or signature, and then start answering questions and sharing tales.
Your courses will become more known as you become more active on forums.
Create a Partner Program
Allowing your partners to perform the marketing for you is one of the most effective methods to get the word out about your products.
Because of their resources and unique viewpoint, an affiliate may be able to advertise your online course in an interesting new way.
Translate Your Course
It’s a big, wide world out there, so don’t forget to promote your online course beyond your country.
Try to be flexible and provide your content in the widest number of languages possible for a broader reach.
Invest in Pay-Per-Click (PPC) Ads
It is true, occasionally you need to spend money to earn money.
Your content will be seen by more people thanks to online advertising, which frequently leads to increased purchases.
Paid search, paid social, and display advertisements may all benefit you by providing you with a direct path to your target audience.
Here Are Our Top Picks of The Best Online Course Hosting Platforms
As you’ve probably figured out by now, the ideal online course platform is entirely dependent on your requirements.
Here are our top picks depending on certain requirements:
If you want a good e-Learning program as well as a comprehensive platform for email marketing and drip campaigns, then
If you want the best tool for creating an online course with interesting material and an easy-to-use UI. Choose Udemy or Coursera.
If you are looking for an all-in-one solution for online courses, email marketing, websites, subscriptions, and sales funnels. Choose WizIQ or Podia.
You want a great marketplace for your course and want a vast number of students. Choose Udemy or Coursera or Skillshare.
You want a premium online course platform. Choose Udemy or Kajabi.
You want a free online course platform. Choose WizIQ or Linkedin Learning.
Creating online courses is a fantastic way to make money, offer important information, build your business, and/or reach a larger audience.
Success is determined by you, the quality of your material, and the time and attention you put into marketing your brand.
Hopefully, this purchase guide has been useful to find the best online course platform for your course. Best of luck!
About the Author: 99businessideas.com led by Rupak Chakrabarty is committed to helping beginners, entrepreneurs, and small business owners in starting, managing, and growing their business. Our aim is to educate the entrepreneur on the various stages of entrepreneurship.