Starting a photo editing business from home can be a profitable venture for you. The increased demand for edited photographs on social media need for photographs on e-commerce sites and various corporate and social events have made the business of photo editing, not only sustainable but also quite a lucrative one.
You can start the business of photo editing from your home. The job of photo editing does not need much space. You need a separate room and your edit table for putting your laptop and doing the work.
However, for the photo editing business, you need to have an understanding of photography as well as digital photo editing. If you are a photographer by profession or passion, this business is ideal for you. If you know the editing tools and their uses, it is very good. Otherwise, you can go for a professional course on photo editing.
7 Steps to Start a Photo Editing Business
1. Tools & Software Required for Photo Editing Business
There are many tools and software required for your photo editing business. First of all, you need a good laptop with a steady internet connection. Internet is essential because you will get most of your editing orders online and you also have to deliver the edited photos online.
One of the most popular software required for photo editing is Adobe Photoshop. It is one of the best photo editing software which is a layer-based one. You may find it difficult at first to get used to, but it’s worthwhile. The other important software includes Corel Paintshop Pro, Corel AfterShot Pro, PicMonkey, GIMP, Skylum Luminar 4, Darktable, Photopea, Google Picasa 3, etc.
There are also many software, some for Android or IOS. But, for photo editing jobs, you need to do it on your PC or Laptop. This is the condition of your professional quality and commitment.
2. Types of Services You Can Offer
Though photography skill is not a mandatory requirement, still having a proper sense of photography is essential to be successful in the photo editing business. Technology has given some incredible and powerful tools to the photo editor. The more you can use, the more you will make money in the photo editing business from home.
The Services you can offer are:
- Photo Retouching
- High-end Retouching
- Photo Restoration
- Background Changing
- No Contracts
- Exposure Correction
- Noise Reduction
- Photoshop Actions
- Photoshop Overlays
- Contrast Adjustment
- Photo Manipulation
- Product Photo Editing
- Photoshop Textures
- Special Package for Marriage Photos etc.
3. Learn the Advantages of Photo Editing Business
There are many advantages of the photo editing business both from your end as well as the customers’ end.
- The photos you edit help in building the publicity of a specific brand and side by side build a name for your photo editing business.
- Your edited photos, especially for the media sometimes become so famous that it makes your name and business famous along with it.
- Whenever the sales of your clients increase with the help of the publicity materials containing your edited photos, your name, repute, and charges are also enhanced.
- If you can serve some reputed clients like corporate houses or celebrities or famous ceremonies, you also earn respect and fame for your business.
- If you have a resource of photographs with you and use it for your clients, like photographs of famous tourist spots or natural beauty, you earn an edge over your competitors.
4. The Steps of Setting up Your Photo Editing Business
You can start your photo editing business from home, but you have to fulfill certain formalities to establish your business. These are:
- Make a well-researched business plan with clear ideas about your investment, clients, charges, profits, etc.
- Establish the legal form of your business and register for tax, permits, and licenses to run your business.
- Create a catchy business name
- Open a bank account in the name of your business.
- Make arrangements for the online delivery of your product through email.
- Create a website and make arrangements for online payments.
- Buy a business insurance
- Use your social media accounts like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for the publicity of your business. You can also create a separate account in the name of your business.
- Keep a good track of the accounting system from the very beginning.
- Plan your marketing strategies well based on market trends, local demands, different sectors, etc.
5. What is the Cost of Starting a Photo Editing Business?
A home-based photo editing business can be started with minimal cost. The cost includes buying a high-end computer and photo editing software. You can launch a photo editing service business from home with a minimum investment of $2500 excluding promotional expenses.
6. Where to Find Clients
After you decide to start your photo editing business, you have to decide the target clients you want to serve. There can be several clients and it is wise not to stick to any particular type of client. Keep your options open and you will get many clients of different types. The main types of clients are:
a) Individual Clients
Individual clients need photo editing mainly for their profiles or some professional profiles like modeling or acting portfolio. Many people need the editing of their old valuable photos.
b) Editorial & Media
The Mass Media use many photographs which need to be edited before publishing. They often need the service of photo editors to make the photo suitable for print or use in audio-visual media.
c) Find Industrial Clients
Industries need photographs for their publicity materials, reports, websites, annual reports, etc. These photographs need to be edited most of the time and you can use this requirement to make your client base.
The e-commerce sites are full of photographs of the various products they sell- from groceries to machinery. They need photo editors to make the photos attractive and suitable for their websites, which is a good opportunity for you to grow your business.
Advertising agencies need photo editors to make their photos more attractive and suitable for mass publicity. So, you can contact the agencies for assignments and earn profits.
f) Social Events
There are numerous social events like marriage, parties, other ceremonies, etc. People want to look their best in the photographs of these ceremonies and events. So they need photo editors and this can be your big opportunity to grow your business.
7. Key To the Success of Your Photo Editing Business
The road to success is almost the same for all businesses. However, for your photo editing business to grow well, you need the following things:
- A creative eye for photography and photo editing.
- Good training in photo editing.
- Sufficient knowledge and skill to handle and utilize the different options of editing software.
- Good Public Relations, Amiable nature, and many suggestions to clients.
- Timely delivery.
- Ability to handle the workload with a smiling face.
- Patience in handling the Clients
- Building up a good contact base.
- Ability to create candid moments through images.
- Visiting different events, taking photographs, publishing them on social media for publicity, and selling them online.
FAQs on Photo Editing Business?
How to sell my photo editing services to clients?
The best way to find clients for your photo editing business initially is the word of mouth advertisement and through friends and relatives. Reach more prospective customers by sending emails, and exchanging visiting cards, and brochures. Additionally, one can fetch customers online through online photography platforms like Fixthephoto, Mendr, and Shutterstock.
How does a Photo Editing Business make money?
Generally, photo editors make money by selling edited photos. The photos can be provided by clients or sometimes your own. One also makes good money by selling photo albums.
How much can you charge customers for a photo editing job?
The pricing largely depends on the time and hours required to finish the job. If it is just to erase small blemishes, the charges are low. More complex jobs are charged higher. The price range is from $10 to hundreds of dollars depending on the job.
These are the key points of your photo editing service business from home. There are many other things you can consider, but these are the basic principles. You will learn more as you advance in your business. Remember one point, in this world of virtual reality and top-grade publicity, photographs can create havoc and play an integral part in the business world.
About the Author: 99businessideas.com led by Rupak Chakrabarty is committed to helping beginners, entrepreneurs, and small business owners in starting, managing, and growing their businesses.