Rainwater harvesting is a unique and innovative business that can be started by young entepreneurs. The process of rainwater harvesting is a technically proven system to collect and store rainwater in natural reservoirs or tanks. There are two processes to store rainwater. One is surface runoff harvesting and another is rooftop rainwater harvesting. In an urban area, rainwater flows away as surface runoff.
This runoff could be caught and used for recharging aquifers by adopting appropriate methods. In rooftop harvesting, the roof becomes the catchment, and the rainwater is collected from the roof of the house/building. It can either be stored in a tank or diverted to an artificial recharge system. This method is less expensive and very effective and if implemented properly helps in augmenting the groundwater level of the area. You must have basic civil engineering knowledge to start this business.
Here is a Complete Guide on Why & How to Start Rainwater Harvesting
Why Rainwater Harvesting Is Required?
Water is an important natural resource and is the basic necessity of our life. We use water for drinking, irrigation, industry, domestic, transport, and for the production of hydroelectricity. Rainwater harvesting is one of the most effective methods of water management and water conservation.
It requires overcoming the deficiency of surface water to meet our demands. To reduce the consumption of groundwater, many people around the world are using rainwater harvesting systems. In areas where there is excess rainfall, the surplus rainwater can be used to recharge groundwater through artificial recharge techniques.
In urban areas, harvesting is usually done with the help of some infrastructure or The simplest method for a rainwater harvesting system is storage tanks. Provided you have the technical knowledge and skill, you can offer a rainwater harvesting system providing business of your own.
Advantages Of Rainwater Harvesting System
- This is easy to maintain a system for households and industries.
- It reduces the water bill. This water can perform in a great way for industrial purposes.
- Most suitable water resource for irrigation
- It reduces urban flooding and soil erosion
- Harvested rainwater can be directly used for several non-drinking purposes
- After cleaning and sterilization, it can be used for drinking purposes.
Rainwater Harvesting System
Rooftop harvesting is the most popular way among the urban population. Here I have discussed some basic components of rooftop rainwater harvesting. These are as follows:
In the most basic form of this technology, rainwater is collected in simple vessels at the edge of the roof. Variations on this basic approach include the collection of rainwater in gutters which drain to the collection vessel through downpipes constructed for this purpose, and/or the diversion of rainwater from the gutters to containers for settling particulates before being conveyed to the storage container for the domestic use.
Rainwater from a rooftop should be carried through down-take water pipes or drains to the storage/harvesting system. Water pipes should be UV resistant (ISI HDPE/PVC pipes) of the required capacity. Water from sloping roofs could be caught through gutters and down take the pipe. At terraces, the mouth of each drain should have wire mesh to restrict floating material.
- First Flush
A first flush device is a valve that ensures that runoff from the first spell of rain is flushed out and does not enter the system. This needs to be done since the first spell of rain carries a relatively larger amount of pollutants from the air and catchment surface.
The filter is used to remove suspended pollutants from rainwater collected from the roof. A filter unit is a chamber filled with filtering media such as fiber, coarse sand, and gravel layers to remove debris and dirt from the water before it enters the storage tank or recharge structure.
Rainwater Harvesting Business Plan
In starting this business you must craft a business plan. You can start this business in two ways. Either by purchasing a franchise or setting your own brand. To start this business from home, you must have a spare space for equipment storage and office use. Identify your target niche and what method will be perfect for them.
Perform market research. Watch other companies, the way they are giving services. Plan for the marketing technique. Calculate how much capital is needed to start. Remember, people want the most cost-effective option of getting harvested rainwater.
You must provide them with planning, design, and budget. In addition, one must be technically sound about the subject matter. You can also provide customized planning according to the client’s requirements.
How To Create Rainwater Harvesting System For Your Client
- Check the roof surface first. Whether it is suitable to collect quality rainwater.
- Install gutter meshes to prevent blocking gutters from leaves and debris.
- Fit gutter outlets
- Install first flush water diverters to prevent the first flush of most contaminated rainwater from entering the tank
- Install tank screen to keep mosquitoes and pests out.
- Select the right size of the water tank. Consider annual rainfall, roof catchment area, and water usage.
- Fit insect-proof screen to the end of all pipes and to tank overflow outlets.
- Install a pump system to distribute the water inside and outside of the premises.
- Install a customized filter after the pump to help reduce residual sediments, color, and odor.
- Fit a water level indicator to help monitor water usage.
Rainwater harvesting Equipment & Accessories
It doesn’t require complex equipment and tools to install a basic cost-effective rainwater harvesting system. Some of the important are storage tanks, pipes, water level indicators, first flush diverters, leaf eater, gutter outlets, canale adaptors, and filter pits. You will find global companies providing tools and accessories for rainwater harvesting systems. Verify the price, quality, and warranty for their products before making any purchase.
Promote Your Rainwater Harvesting Business
- Promote your business online and offline too.
- Attend real estate and construction-related fairs and agro fairs focused on irrigation
- Register with local free classifieds
- Build your complete informative business website with a blog
- Put some postings about the advantages of rainwater harvesting and its cost-effectiveness.
- You can promote the business on Google Adwords
- You can also offer an initial launching discount for your clients.
About the Author: 99businessideas.com led by Rupak Chakrabarty is committed to helping beginners, entrepreneurs, and small business owners in starting, managing, and growing their business. Our aim is to educate the entrepreneur on the various stages of entrepreneurship.