Do you want to start aquaponics farming? Find here a detailed plan guide on starting an aquaponics farming business with training, production process, tools, legalities, and much more.
With the beginning of the new decade, you must be looking for a business that has a bright future. If you want to start a farming business from your backyard, go for the Aquaponics Farming Business. This allows you to grow vegetables along with fish in the same space. You do not need fertilizers, no soil and still get organic vegetables for sale.
What is Aquaponics?
Aquaponics is the perfect blend of aquaculture or the growth of fish and hydroponics, the growing of vegetables in water. Aquaponics uses both the methods together and gets rid of the disadvantages of both the systems.
In this system, the fish wastes are transferred to the plants which they use as nutrients. In the growth process, the plants make the water clean again and it then flows back to the fish. Water is continuously recycled from fish to the plants and again to the fish.
Therefore, there is no wastage of water in this process. Plants grow in a soil-less media, without any fertilizer and so fully organic. So, Aquaponics Farming saves a lot of your farming costs, yielding more profits for you.
10 Step Aquaponics Farming Business Plan for Beginners
1. Get Trained In Aquaponics Farming
Aquaponics Farming Business is a profitable and healthy business. But you need to do some research before starting the business. To know the details of the farming process required things, apparatus, and steps to follow, points of caution to be adopted you need a proper training course.
There are many training modules which give you written instructions as well as DVD so that you can see the different aspects of the farming process.
2. Do your Research Well
Before starting your Aquaponics Farming Business, do very good research on how to set up and manage the Farm. Take the help of internet search and meet the local farmers.
To know the Government formalities visit your State’s agriculture and fishery department.
It is very important to choose a proper location for your Aquaponics Farming Business. Try to select an area that is neither too hot nor too cold and there are no harmful chemicals.
Take the help of an Aquaponics specialist in setting up your system.
Also Check: List of Top Profitable Agriculture Business Ideas
3. Things you Need to Start Aquaponics Farming
You can start with your Aquaponics Farming Business on a small scale and then gradually increase the scale. So, the size of the things will depend on the scale of your farm. The basic things you need are:
- Tanks for the Fish
- Growing medium for your Plants
- Pumps for Water Supply
- Chlorine Remover
- Grow beds for Plants
- Good and stable Supply of Electricity
- Arrangement of Lights, if you are doing your farming indoors.
4. Learn The Different Steps of Aquaponics Farming
Farming needs specific steps. You have to follow them one after the other. Some are preparatory steps, while some are direct farming steps.
Adding the grow media
It is the growing media, not soil on which your plants will grow. You can use pea gravel or river rock as grow media. Fill the grow bed with grow media up to a height of approximately 12 inches. Spread the media evenly.
Adding Water in the Fish Tank
In the next step, fill your fish tank with water. In the case of tap water, use the pump and aerator to remove chemicals from the water. Normally, small systems need 3 days and large systems may need up to 7 days to be totally free from chemicals.
Add some more water, because of evaporation and absorption of water by plants. Chlorine is harmful to both fish and plants. Use a chlorine remover to remove chlorine from water. Use the right quantity of remover according to the quantity of water you are using.
5. Adding Plants on the Grow Beds
After treating the water, you have to add plants. Dig at least 2 inches hole in the grow media and plant the plants. Then make the bed smooth again so that the plants stand straight.
Adding Ammonia and Healthy Bacteria
For Raising Fish, you need to add Ammonia and useful bacteria to the water in the Fishtank. The useful bacteria will convert the ammonia waste of the fish into smaller sized particles for the plants to absorb.
Testing the PH
You have to test the PH balance of the water regularly with the PH meter. When the reading shows a range between 6.5 and 7.5, your tank is ready for the fish.
Adding Fish in the Tank
After the purification, mineral addition and the right PH balance of the water is completed, you can add fish in the fish tank.
6. Time Taken by Plants and Fish to Grow
The time depends on the kind of vegetable and fish you are farming. Vegetables grow faster under aquaponics farming. Leafy vegetables grow within 5 weeks.
The growth of fish depends on the kind of fish you choose. Tilapia takes 6-8 months to grow. Prawn and Shrimp grow in 3 to 6 months. While Trout takes 4 years and Catfish 18 months to grow to the size of 1 Pound.
7. Vegetables & Fish you can Grow in Aquaponics Farming Business
If the size of your Aquaponics Farm is small, you should grow vegetables that do not need many nutrients and grow easily. For example, lettuce, spinach, kale, mint, okra, spring onion, radish, watercress, leek, etc.
For vegetables like tomato, cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, beans, cucumber, you need a bigger and more advanced Aquaponics Farm.
8. Changing the Water
In an Aquaponics System of Farming, you don’t need to change the water. But you have to add water because water loss takes place by evaporation and transpiration. However, there are many farmers who change the water periodically to keep the system clean and germ-free.
9. The Economics of Aquaponics Farming Business
Like any other business, the economics of Aquaponics Farming Business depends on its scale. However, the initial investment and the set-up costs are high.
An approximate cost of starting a 360 sq. ft. the farm will cost you more than $10,000. In addition, there are running costs and other costs like water, electricity, lights, chemicals, fish food, etc.
However, with a good production of organic vegetables and fish, you can get a profit margin of more than 10%. Here you have to keep in mind that more profit comes from the sale of organic vegetables which have high demand.
There are certain farming companies that offer a 10% return on investment in Aquaponics Farming Business.
In addition to direct profits, you have the benefits of saving water, soil, and cost of fertilizers and pesticides which also adds to your profits.
Apart from that, you also earn from some other ways related to your Aquaponics Farming Business. These include Aquaponics training classes, Aquaponics training kit (with notes and video), Selling Aquaponics Systems, Arranging visits to your Aquaponics farm, etc.
Advantages of Aquaponics Farming
- It produces vegetables and fish at the same time.
- Aquaponics do not use fertilizers, pesticides, or other chemicals.
- As a result, you will get healthy organic vegetables.
- Aquaponics uses a lesser amount of water than soil farming. According to some experts, it uses 1/10 of the water needed for soil farming. As a result, the water bill will be also less.
- There will be no soil-borne disease of the plants as there is no soil.
- Very small space produces a lot of plants.
- Plants grow quickly because they get nutrients from the fish waste.
- You can make the entire process of both fish and plant production in a controlled temperature.
10. Legal Necessities
Register your Aquaponics Farming Business for the legal permits and licenses. Do your Registration with the Fishery department and get a sales tax certificate state tax identification number and Employer Identification Number.
Take the help of a qualified accounts specialist for the business and accounting details. Also, take the help of marketing analysts who will chalk out your marketing strategies.
1) Start your Aquaponics Business on a small scale and gradually increase it.
2) Make arrangements for an alternate source of power. In case there is a power failure, you can keep the system working.
3) Give your fish sufficient foods that they are healthy and grow well.
4) Make sure that the amount and type of food remain the same so that the waste output of the fish remains more or less the same.
5) Make sure that your plants and the fish get a sufficient supply of oxygen. With growth, both plants and fish need more oxygen, so you have to keep the system aerated.
6) In the case of the plants in your Aquaponics Farming, choose the plants that require the same water condition as the fish. It will ensure better growth.
7) Keep a close watch on the fish tank and get rid of extra fish waste when required. Excess waste is not good for the health of the fish.
8) Monitor the PH level very closely. That is very important for the growth of both plants and fish.
9) Buy fish tanks either of glass or food-grade plastic.
10) Don’t use chemical pesticides. You can only use organic ones if needed. Chemical pesticides harm the fish.
The Future of Aquaponics Farming
Your Aquaponics Farming Business has a great relevance considering the future of farming. Water and land shortage are severe crisis points for the future. Aquaponics Farming solves both the problems efficiently.
The freshwater reserves of the Earth are facing the problem of pollution and the pressure of the increasing global population. Your Aquaponics Farming Business being futuristic will neither put pressure on freshwater reserve nor pollute it.
According to Statista, to produce the same amount of output, Aquaponics Farming needed only ten percent of the land area required by traditional farming in 2017. So, you can very well understand the prospect of your Aquaponics Farming Business.
You can start with your Aquaponics Business anywhere. It does not need agricultural land. So you can even start it on your terrace, rooftop, or garage.
Your Aquaponics business does not pollute rivers or other water bodies.
It can very well utilize an alternate source of energy like solar energy or wind energy.
So, you can see, there are so many advantages of Aquaponics Farming Business. With proper training, you can start your business and get good returns.
About the Author: 99businessideas.com led by Rupak Chakrabarty is committed to helping beginners, entrepreneurs, and small business owners in starting, managing, and growing their business. Our aim is to educate the entrepreneur on the various stages of entrepreneurship.